GW's Sourdough English Muffins

Moderators: Bergy, Derf, QueenBea

racrgal

GW's Sourdough English Muffins

Post by racrgal » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:59 pm

My first attempt at ANYTHING sourdough. These are really good and not all that difficult. I'm going to like practicing!

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/sourdo ... sh-muffins

My dough looked like this today.

After stirring

Ready to knead. I started by hand but switched to the KitchenAid. I was making a HORRIBLE mess. :oops:

racrgal

Re: GW's Sourdough English Muffins

Post by racrgal » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:06 pm

Starting to cut. I used a plastic tumbler, not the egg ring in the pic. The first mistake I know about. Dough is too thin. I didn't want to overhandle the dough so I left it. Next time I'll make it thicker.

Ready to rise

An hour later, into the skillet. I used a non stick skillet and the results were good. Too many in this skillet. After the first batch I reduced the number of muffins in a skillet.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:10 pm

After turning

I used a lid on the skillet. Between batches I made sure to wipe the condensation off of the lid. Might not have done any harm but I wasn't taking any chances.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:12 pm

The finished product. :D

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:16 pm

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:32 pm

WOW, how come I didn't recive notification of this post! Thanks so much for the great review and wonderful photos. Was just discussing with DH that I'm going to make some these up so we can have handy in the freezer for mini pizzas!

invictus

Post by invictus » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:45 pm

I love love love homemade english muffins but I have never tried sourdough. These look AWESOME!

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Galley_Wench wrote:WOW, how come I didn't recive notification of this post! Thanks so much for the great review and wonderful photos. Was just discussing with DH that I'm going to make some these up so we can have handy in the freezer for mini pizzas!
Forgot to say . . . GREAT JOB!

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:07 pm

Sweetie LOVES these muffins! He thought I was nuts when I made the dough last night. "You can buy English muffins. Why are you making them?" He's not saying that today. :lol:

I took the series of pics so you could see my mess. lol Seriously, I took the series of pics so I could find out which step went wrong if mine didn't turn out. The only thing I KNOW I did wrong was patting the dough too thin. I'll make it thicker next time. Do the rest of the steps look right? I was thrilled that the big skillet worked so well. I don't use it often so was happy to find another use for the darned thing.

I posted pics in the photo forum as well. Not as many but I wanted everyone to see your yummy muffins. :) Thanks for getting me started on a new adventure. :D I have to go down the hill tomorrow for a business meeting so it will be Tuesday before I start playing with sourdough again.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:09 pm

Galley_Wench wrote:
Galley_Wench wrote:WOW, how come I didn't recive notification of this post! Thanks so much for the great review and wonderful photos. Was just discussing with DH that I'm going to make some these up so we can have handy in the freezer for mini pizzas!
Forgot to say . . . GREAT JOB!
Thanks! Sweetie is eating another one!!! That's three since he got home from golfing two hours ago. Guess he won't ask why? the next time he sees the bubbly dough. :lol: