Weight Loss

Denise

Re: Weight Loss

Post by Denise » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:51 am

Dissie wrote:Denise, they are a carb, but they are allowed on a low glycemic diet because they don't raise your blood sugar quickly. So that is an excellent suggestion!
Yep, I am quite fond of my natural carbs - if it's not processed, I see NO reason not to enjoy them. Potatoes as well - no fat, they come from the ground. I don't see how that can be bad. Now pasta, yeah. I can see. But it's still very low fat, so I enjoy it :D

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:00 am

Potatoes or pasta isn't allowed on a low glycemic...blood sugar goes sky high quickly with those foods..... Image And of course those are the comfort foods!

Denise

Post by Denise » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:20 am

Dissie wrote:Potatoes or pasta isn't allowed on a low glycemic...blood sugar goes sky high quickly with those foods..... Image And of course those are the comfort foods!
I know, I'm really glad I don't have to worry about that!

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:16 pm

I am trying to lose weight again too. I had been doing really well and then slacked off. I didn't gain it back, but I stopped losing. I only just now feel like it might be starting to want to come back, so I need to motivate myself to lose some more.

I have tried a lot of different methods/suggestions. My biggest problem is always lack of exercise. I make every excuse in the book to myself to get out of exercising - and I know full well that is one thing I always did when I was thinner. I used to have a lot more energy and I walked all over the place. I also danced and did a lot of exercise workouts.

My other issue is finding ways to keep my daughter happy while I am trying to eat healthier foods. I already have a hard enough time cooking for just the two of us, so I am not about to prepare separate meals. Extreme types of diets don't work for me - I lost quite a bit by avoiding carbs, but it is unrealistic to avoid them forever. I don't eat lots of actual sugar, but the hidden carbs in ordinary savory foods is where I can use the most work.

So right now I have a goal to increase my exercise and try to reduce my carbs (without avoiding them) and reduce overall bad fat/calories. I want to lose 10 pounds by the end of the month. I'd like to lose more, but that is my goal for now.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:33 pm

Heather, I know exactly what you mean. Thats why I could never keep doing low carb! It is such a harsh way to live! On low glycemic you can eat bread! Have you ever looked into it? You can have fruit too! Thats why I was able to do it for so long. Low carbing is hard and unrealistic for my life!

MaMere

Post by MaMere » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:40 pm

Heather a couple tips for you...ICE water! Just drinking ice water the body has to "warm it up" and you will naturally burn calories! Not unrealistic, and easy!
Eat carbs earlier in the day..not at breakfast, but definitely not at dinner as it gives the body time to burn it off.
I am a huge supporter of "positive thinking" and visualization. Visualize yourself at your personal goal weight, how you look, how you feel, the difference in the way your clothes fit. If you are doing these things, with healthy thoughts, visualization, comes realization....it works!

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:45 pm

MaMere wrote:Heather a couple tips for you...ICE water! Just drinking ice water the body has to "warm it up" and you will naturally burn calories! Not unrealistic, and easy!
Eat carbs earlier in the day..not at breakfast, but definitely not at dinner as it gives the body time to burn it off.
I am a huge supporter of "positive thinking" and visualization. Visualize yourself at your personal goal weight, how you look, how you feel, the difference in the way your clothes fit. If you are doing these things, with healthy thoughts, visualization, comes realization....it works!
I will try the ice water tip - good idea.

I usually eat a protein rich breakfast - eggs or yogurt. I don't like my yogurt very sweet, so I get regular plain yogurt and add my own fruit and a bit of nuts or some granola or there are a few brands that keep the fruit part on the bottom or off to the side, letting me stir just a small amount in if I choose to. Eggs seems to really work well for me and I make them in 9 million different ways to keep them from being boring.

However - bread at night is definitely something I do. I often make homemade bread to serve with dinner and to use for sandwiches for my dd's lunch. I am trying to cut back on some of that. I also make a lot of quick breads, which we like as an afternoon snack with tea/coffee. That is an area I will need to cut back on too. I have started trying to have a cheese plate ready with some apple slices, pears, and grapes available. DD absolutely loves this and doesn't miss the banana breads as much as I do.

MaMere

Post by MaMere » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:23 pm

HeatherFeather wrote:
MaMere wrote:Heather a couple tips for you...ICE water! Just drinking ice water the body has to "warm it up" and you will naturally burn calories! Not unrealistic, and easy!
I will try the ice water tip - good idea.

I usually eat a protein rich breakfast - eggs or yogurt. I don't like my yogurt very sweet, so I get regular plain yogurt and add my own fruit and a bit of nuts or some granola or there are a few brands that keep the fruit part on the bottom or off to the side, letting me stir just a small amount in if I choose to. Eggs seems to really work well for me and I make them in 9 million different ways to keep them from being boring.

However - bread at night is definitely something I do. I often make homemade bread to serve with dinner and to use for sandwiches for my dd's lunch. I am trying to cut back on some of that. I also make a lot of quick breads, which we like as an afternoon snack with tea/coffee. That is an area I will need to cut back on too. I have started trying to have a cheese plate ready with some apple slices, pears, and grapes available. DD absolutely loves this and doesn't miss the banana breads as much as I do.
I do know from reading your past Menu's that you eat very healthy Heather. It could just be an idea to change a few things around. Breakfast is super important to start with, it kicks start the day, and if you fuel with enough protein, it stays with you, but also, it kicks start the metabolism, and thats a biggy! I am like you, I fix eggs many different ways, one of my favs is 1 egg, 1 egg white, scrambled, with fresh dill, and cream cheese, and I pair this with cottage cheese for a protein packed brekkie..so good!
The fruit & cheese plate is another great idea, hubby and I do this often, so we can graze. I need to keep my sugar levels balanced, and so nibbles on healthy items like this are a great way to keep something on the tummy all the time.
Maybe try to keep the bread at lunchtime, and make half sandwiches with it. I think our bodies require a bit of carbohydrate to function properly.

Cranberry

Post by Cranberry » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:18 pm

So many good ideas here! I love it!
Heather I found that it took some trial and error to get our (me and DH) eating right so keep trying things until you get a combination that works for you. The foods that we eat you won't find in any diet book :lol: :lol: :lol: but it really works for us. The 100+ pounds has actually come off fairly easy for me. I thought it would be a lot more difficult then it was. A lot of work for sure but for the most part it wasn't *hard* work.

Cranberry

Post by Cranberry » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:36 pm

It looks like this forum has slowed down to a standstill Image

The weight is coming off. Really quickly actually. I've been eating well and moving lots but I haven't been trying overly hard. I haven't been to the gym this week at all because I helped someone move and all day it was up and down stairs. My calves hurt a lot and it slowed me down quite a bit :oops: Today I got out for a run and that felt nice. I did a five minute warm up on the stationary bike along with some stretches but it still took a really long time for my body to 'get into it'. Usually I have to put effort into it for about ten minutes before my brain can shut off and I go on cruise control.

I weighed myself today and I have three pounds left to lose to hit my goal. I suspect that my medicine has finally kicked in because while I should be losing, I shouldn't be losing this quickly. It kind of feels like cheating even though I know that logically it's just my body righting itself and going back to normal.